To access this feature in sites you need to do the following...
- You can start by either editing your Sidebar or selecting the More button on the top right side of your site and choosing Manage Site
- Select Site Layout text on the left and then the Change Site Layout button
- In the middle of the window, you will need to check the box for Horizontal Navigation Bar and click OK
- Your next step will be to delete Navigation that is found under sidebar unless you would like both vertical and horizontal navigation
- Manually adding the pages you want in the navigation bar is the next step and you do that by selecting the Edit Horizontal Nav Content
- Select the Add Page text and choose the page you would like to have visible. Repeat for all pages. You can also Add URL to insert a link into the navigation bar
- The final step is to choose either Boxes, Tabs or Links found under Style in the same window and then click on OK
- You can select the Preview button to view your new look and then Save to accept the changes
All in all this gives you a little more flexibility with the navigation on your site.
To learn more of these tips and tricks, attend one of the many Google Apps for Education Summits coming to a city near you.